The ESSSR undertakes activities focusing on four main areas:
- Area 1: Courses on sustainability science, especially online ones, hence furthering the digitalisation of teaching and learning
- Area 2: Research projects on sustainability science
- Area 3: Research publications on sustainability science
- Area 4: Joint training of PhD students on sustainability science, as well as post-doctoral positions and fellowships
All these four areas are part of the research agenda of many universities across Europe. These four key areas also address the need for integrated approaches towards sustainable development, and hence contribute to the implementation of the SDGs. The themes ESSSR focuses on, are as follows:
- Theme 1: Political, social and economic dimensions of sustainable development
- Theme 2: Environmental and technological dimensions of sustainable development
- Theme 3: Holistic approaches to sustainable development
- Theme 4: Stakeholders´ engagement in sustainable development
- Theme 5: Education for sustainable development
Other themes may be added by ESSSR members, to be agreed with by the Consortium.
The European School of Sustainability Science and Research (ESSSR) is embarking on a major drive to foster sustainability research in Europe and round the world.
Titled “ESSSR Futures” and to be undertaken over the period 2020-2030, the new initiative consists of joint bidding led by ESSSR in cooperation with its members, for a variety of research projects on matters related to sustainable development, to be funded by national, European and non-European sources. Along with its members, ESSSR intends to fill in the many research gaps seen in the field of sustainability research today. Between 2020 and 2030, ESSSR intends to mobilise Euro 60 million in research funding, to be shared across the partnership. Both the ESSSR Coordinating Office in Hamburg, Germany, and its members spread across Europe, will be initiating and leading research projects – and the many publications in peer-reviewed journals deriving from them -, providing a solid and long-lasting contribution towards the achievements of the Sustainable Development Goals.
“ESSSR Futures” will be formally launched at the Board Meeting of ESSSR, comprised of the 11 founding members, to be held in Stockholm, Sweden on 10th September 2019. All ESSSR members are welcome to attend on own funding. A database with the distinctive know-how and skills will be prepared and shared among the ESSSR Futures members, and these will then be contacted in connection with research bids. Expressions of interest to be part of the initiative “ESSSR Futures” should be sent to the ESSSR Secretariat in Hamburg.
For further details, please feel free to contact us at the Hamburg office.